An easy walk north of Hankyu Umeda and JR Osaka Station, the Hankyu International is an excellent hotel with rates below what you’d expect to pay for rooms of this standard.
Osaka does have all the usual big-name luxury hotels you’d expect, like the Ritz, the Intercontinental, and the Conrad. While they’re all pretty great, Hotel Hankyu International definitely holds its own against all these international brands.
Location-wise, it’s centrally situated just 3 minutes from Umeda Station. The surrounding area has plenty of retail therapy and restaurant options to keep the first-time visitor to Osaka very happy. However, it is a 15-minute walk from JR Osaka Station, and it’s not all that convenient if you’re travelling with kids or elderly family members, or if you have a number of heavy suitcases. You’ll want to consider taking a taxi right to the hotel if that’s the case.
Rooms are reasonably spacious by Japanese standards, with classic decor that’s still moder, but not dated. The room are all located on the 26th floor or higher, ensuring fantastic views from all the rooms. Ask for higher rooms if you can! The water pressure from the shower head is also worth mentioning.
Breakfast at the hotel is delicious whether you choose the Japanese or continental meal. International guests will find the additional charge to use the on-site gym and swimming pool rather frustrating and perhaps prohibitively expensive. However, know that this is common practice in Japan - there’s not much use railing against it!
Like an increasing number of hotels in Japan these days, Hankyu International provides smartphones for guests to use during their stay. These “handy phones” are provided free of charge, and allow you to make free domestic calls, browse the internet and find your way around town. They’ll bill you if you lose the phone, but it’s an otherwise useful and convenient service.
Usefully enough, this hotel also has buses that take you directly to Kansai Airport, which is a real plus if you have early morning departures and you’re not staying near the airport.
Hotel Hankyu International
19-19 Chaya-machi, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, 530-0013
wifi and LAN cable access
Train: 3-minute walk from the Chayamachi exit of Umeda Station on the Hankyu Line.
Subway: 3-minute walk from exit 4 of Nakatsu Station on the Osaka Metro Midosuji Line.
More Luxury Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended luxury hotels in Osaka.
Near To Here:
Hotel Hankyu International is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded