Osaka is a very comfortable and attractive destination for LGBT travelers. Indeed, it’s second only to Tokyo as a center for Japan’s LGBT community.
Rainbow Sunset © showbizsuperstar
- Japan in general, and Osaka in particular, is a comfortable and attractive place for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender travelers.
- Same-sex sexual relations are legal in Japan. The usual laws regarding age apply.
- Overt public displays of affection by couples of any kind are frowned upon in Japan.
- Osaka has a relatively large LGBT community.
- Osaka’s LGBT nightlife district is Doyama-cho, which is a short walk east of Umeda, in the Kita District.
- See below for all the details.
Japan is quite accepting of LGBT individuals. Indeed, apart from Thailand, it is the most comfortable and attractive place in Asia for LGBT travelers. Sure, in some country areas, people might look askance at any obviously LGBT couple exhibiting their affection. And, the odd rural hotel or ryokan might balk at providing rooms to such couples. But, in Osaka, you’re unlikely to encounter this.
Resources for LGBT Travelers in Japan
- Utopia Asia Japan Site
Although focused primarily on information for gay travelers, this is the best all-around LGBT website for foreigners visiting Japan.
- Lesbian Japan Osaka Page
This site is a little bit out of date, but it’s still a good source of information on Osaka’s lesbian scene and lesbian-friendly bars and clubs.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.