Southern Osaka covers the southern part of Osaka City as well as the southern part of Osaka Prefecture. The most interesting sights are located in the city of Sakai in southern Osaka Prefecture.
We consider anything south of the Tennoji District to be southern Osaka. Within the city of Osaka, the most important site in the south is Sumiyoshi Taisha, an interesting Shinto shrine. Outside of the city proper, you’ll find the city of Sakai, which is famous for its knife and sword-making traditions. Sakai is also home to Japan’s largest pre-Buddhist burial mound, the Emperor Nintoku Tomb.
Things to See and Do in Southern Osaka
- Sumiyoshi Taisha (Shinto shrine)
This colorful shrine a short journey south of Tennoji is one of the few Shinto shrines in Osaka that was not destroyed by bombing in WWII. It’s dedicated to the sea and sea travel. A visit to this shrine makes a nice addition to a trip to the Tennoji area. The shrine is next to Sumiyoshi-taisha Station on the Nankai main line and Sumiyoshi-tori-mae Station on the Hankai main line.
- Emperor Nintoku Tomb (burial mound)
Located near Mikunigaoka Station on the JR Hanwa Line (that runs between Osaka and Wakayama), this burial mound (which is known as Daisenryo Kofun in Japanese) is the largest of its kind in Japan. There’s not a heck of a lot to see here other than the greenery-covered mound and the moats around it, but it might be interesting for fans of Japan’s early history. It’s in Sakai, which has some other interesting attractions, including the following.
- Sakai Knife Museum (museum)
Located near Myokukji-mae Station on the Hankai line, this small but excellent museum showcases the main product of Sakai city: world-class knives and other cutting tools. If you’re a fan of Japanese knives and swords, don’t miss this place.
Places to Stay in Southern Osaka
Budget Hotels in Southern Osaka
- Kansai Airport Washington Hotel
(View on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Just across the bridge from Kansai International Airport, this business hotel is a good choice if your budget doesn’t extend to the Nikko Hotel at the airport, or if the Nikko is full. It’s a standard business hotel but it’s perfectly okay for a night after a late arrival or before an early departure. There’s a shuttle bus or you can take the train from the nearby station.
Mid-Range Hotel in Southern Osaka
- Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport
(View on Agoda.com)
Located right at Kansai International Airport (KIX), just a short walk from the passenger terminal, this excellent and comfortable hotel is perfect for those with late arrivals or early departures. The rooms are relatively large and usually very quiet. You can usually get pretty good deals online. Highly recommended!
- Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport
(View on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Right across the bridge from Kansai International Airport, this comfortable hotel is a great choice for a stay close to the airport. The rooms are relatively spacious and some have very nice views. There’s a free shuttle bus and the hotel is also close to a train station for the airport. Recommended!
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan