Izakaya and sake specialists (they’re almost the same thing) are everywhere in Osaka. Here’s a list of our favorite izakaya/sake specialists in Osaka.
Dinner in a traditional restaurant: LMspencer/Shutterstock.com
One of the best ways to really experience Osaka is to spend an evening in an izakaya (traditional Japanese sake pub/restaurant). This is the best way to meet the locals and to sample some great food and sake or beer. You’ll find izakaya crowded around every train station in town. They’re particularly abundant near Shin-Osaka Station, JR Osaka Station, Hankyu Umeda Station, Shinsaibashi Station and Tennoji Station. Here are three of our favorites:
- Binbiya (Kita; moderate)
This izakaya in the Kita-Shinchi entertainment district is one of the best in the city.
- Chirori (Shin-Osaka Area; moderate)
One stop south of Shin-Osaka Station, this izakaya has an incredible variety of sake, which they serve with great seafood and other izakaya dishes.
- Shouginan (Shin-Osaka Area; moderate)
One stop north of Shin-Osaka Station, this rustic-style izakaya is a great place for a filling meal and some good sake when in the Shin-Osaka area.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.