Last Update: January 23, 2023
You do NOT have to be vaccinated with a Covid vaccine to enter Japan. However, if you have not received three doses of an approved Covid vaccine you must have a negative Covid test before boarding your flight to Japan. The Japanese government “strongly encourages” you to use an app to upload your vax or test status; see our MySOS/Visit Japan Web page for details.
On January 20, Prime Minister Kishida announced that Japan will downgrade Covid to the same category as seasonal influenza on May 8. This may mean the end of the vaccination-or-test requirement, as well as the indoor masking recommendation. This may also mean the end of the Visit Japan Web app. For now, however, all those things remain in place. As soon as we get more details, we will list them here. Please keep checking back.
For full details on vaccine requirements, please see the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Covid vaccine page.
For full details on Covid test requirements and formats, please see the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Covid test page.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world