Osaka is more than just tall buildings and neon – it’s got some great parks and green spaces. Starting in mid-October, the leaves turn color and you can enjoy the autumn foliage right through December. Here are our picks for the best spots.
Ginko trees in Autumn on Midosuji Boulevard © hetgacom
In a hurry? Scroll down to find our list of Osaka’s best fall foliage spots. For some information on foliage season, read the following section.
When is fall foliage season in Osaka?
In and around Osaka, the leaves start changing color sometime in October. The peak of fall colors usually comes in mid-November, and you can usually see colors on the trees until mid-December. Thus, in an average year, the foliage season in Osaka lasts from 15 October to 15 December, with a peak around 15 November.
Fall foliage in Banpaku Memorial Park © takapprs_flickr
Osaka’s best fall foliage spots
Osaka Castle Park: The most convenient and appealing foliage spot in Osaka is the spacious park that surrounds Osaka Castle. This park, known as Osaka-jo-koen in Japanese, has some great maple and gingko trees. The castle looks great when viewed through the colorful leaves.
Mino Falls: Located in northern Osaka Prefecture, about half an hour by train from central Osaka, this mountain park has the best foliage in Osaka. A stroll up along the river to the falls is a great way to spend an autumn day in Osaka.
Banpaku Memorial Park: An easy 30-minute trip from central Osaka, this spacious park makes a great trip out of the city. The foliage in the park is fantastic and the nearby Expo City dining and entertainment complex makes a nice add-on to the trip.
Midosuji Boulevard: Osaka’s “main street,” this wide boulevard is lined with gingko trees that burst into bright yellow during foliage season. While the street runs right through Honmachi (in Central Osaka), the best place to enjoy the colors along this street is along the section that runs through Minami.
Osaka Castle with fall foliage © picsoflife
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads