While Japan is not the easiest place for vegetarians, as most dishes usually contain dashi (a skipjack bonito broth), major cities like Osaka do have some vegetarian-friendly restaurants. Here are some recommended vegetarian restaurants in Osaka for you to check out.
Yasai wo Taberu Curry camp - image © Florentyna Leow
- Yasai wo Taberu Curry camp (Kita; budget to moderate)
Located in Ekimae Marche, a shopping complex attached to Osaka Station, camp curry is a great choice for both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Think delicious curry packed to the max with fresh, sweet vegetables. The meat is optional and there are meat-free sauces too!
- Green Earth (Central; budget)
Green Earth is one of Osaka’s longest-running vegetarian restaurants. Its enduring popularity is no surprise: the mostly vegan food is delicious, the staff are friendly, and dining there is an altogether pleasant experience!
- Organic & Vegetarian Cafe Alt (Minami; budget to moderate)
Tucked away just off the main drag of Shinsaibashi Shopping Arcade, Cafe Atl is a favourite with vegetarians for its reasonably-priced set meals and tasty vegan cakes. The only downside is that they’re not open for dinner - they close at 5pm.
- Saijiki (Minami; budget to moderate)
Vegetarians can feel a little left out in meat-hungry Osaka, but don’t despair – head to Saijiki, which is located on the 6th floor of the huge Namba Parks shopping complex. They serve an all-you-can-eat vegetarian buffet for Y1,888. It tends to be crowded at lunchtime.
Best Osaka Restaurant Recommendations
- Best Osaka Restaurants
- Best Takoyaki In Osaka
- Best Okonomiyaki In Osaka
- Best Kushikatsu In Osaka
- Best Sushi In Osaka
- Best Ramen In Osaka
- Best Izakaya In Osaka
- Best Soba In Osaka
- Best Udon In Osaka
- Best Tonkatsu In Osaka
- Best Yakitori In Osaka
- Best Curry Rice In Osaka
- Best Vegetarian In Osaka
- Best Unagi In Osaka
- Best Kaiseki Kappo And Other Haute Cuisine In Osaka
- Best French Restaurants In Osaka
- Best Resutoran-gai In Osaka
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy - here's how.
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.