If you find the rooms booked at the Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport and you have an early flight out of KIX, then we highly recommend Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport right across the bridge from the airport.
If you’ve ever suffered through an early wake up to catch a flight with children, then we strongly recommend staying your last night at an airport hotel. For sheer proximity, you cannot beat Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport, but its main competitor, Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport, is a more than adequate second choice of accommodation.
With rooms located on the upper floors of a high-rise building – all the way up to the 53rd floor– Star Gate Hotel offers eye-popping views of the bay and airport. Rooms are clean and large by Japanese standards. The water pressure in the shower is great, and the beds are comfortable - perfect for getting some shut-eye before an early morning flight.
However, just be warned that the carpets might not be the most pristine-looking ones around. The Star Gate Hotel has been around for a while, so the carpeting definitely shows its age. The furnishings are also a little dated, but this shouldn’t be an issue if you’re concerned with having a place to sleep near the airport. Non-smokers should remember to specify a non-smoking room when booking, too.
With six restaurants in the hotel, guests aren’t likely to go hungry here, though some of the dining options are a little more expensive than average. Breakfast is also on the expensive side, but you do get a fabulous view of the bay while you sip on your morning cup of joe.
The hotel even has an on-site gym – a rarity in Japan – so you could even squeeze in a morning workout before your flight. Alternatively, if the idea of exercise does not appeal, Rinku Pleasure Town Seacle and Rinku Premium Outlet are both a short 10-minute walk away. Perfect for a spot of shopping or entertainment just before your departure!
Even if you can’t stay at the Nikko, being able to take a free shuttle bus from the Star Gate Hotel right across to Kansai Airport is a pretty good alternative. You can’t really go wrong with this airport hotel either!
Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport
1 Rinkuorai-kita, Izumisano-shi, 598-8511
Train: Directly connected to Rinku-Town Station on the JR Kansai Airport Line and Nankai Airport Line.
Near To Here:
Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport is located in Osaka's Southern district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Southern district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Family Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended family hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy - here's how.
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.