If you’re looking to buy a beautiful Japanese knife for yourself or as a gift, this friendly knife shop down in the Shinsekai District is a great choice.
A knife marks the entrance to Tower Knives - image © Wes Lang
If you’re a foodie, you probably already know about Japanese cooking knives: they’re among the best in the world. They make great souvenirs and gifts. (Just don’t forget to put them in your checked luggage – airport security takes a dim view of you trying to carry these things on planes!)
Tower Knives, down south in the Shinsekai District of Osaka, is one of the best knife stores we’ve seen in all of Japan. The friendly, English-speaking staff will not just explain everything and help you choose a knife, they’ll package and wrap your purchase beautifully for you. For serious fans of Japanese knives, this place is worth a special trip!
Tower Knives Osaka
1-4-7 Ebisu-higashi, Naniwa-ku, Osaka-shi, 556-0002
Subway: 4 min walk from exit 3 of Ebisucho Station on the Osaka Metro Sakaisuji Line.
Official Website (Japanese and English)
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded