Visitors to Dotonbori are spoilt for choice when it comes to food, but if you have to choose just one takoyaki stall here, make it Takoyaki Juhachiban. These octopus balls contain several surprise ingredients that take them to the next level of deliciousness.
Takoyaki Juhachiban - image © Florentyna Leow
Juhachiban’s takoyaki is not your run-of-the-mill set of balls. Sure, like other takoyaki, they’re lightly crispy on the outside and deliciously gooey inside, and the octopus is bouncy and fresh. But the chefs at this takoyaki shop give their creations a few twists: they add sakura shrimp, ginger, and tenkatsu (crunchy tempura batter bits) for that additional flavour and crunch you won’t find in other takoyaki. They even go the extra mile for the batter by mixing in some cow’s milk for an extra dash of creaminess.
There are a few variations you can order here. Try it dusted with salt and toasted nori seaweed, which allows you to appreciate the flavour and texture of the takoyaki. Or, if you’re keen on doing it the classic way, order it with the tart brown sauce. You can have it all by ordering a sampler where they give you all the toppings available.
With this level of attention to detail, it’s no wonder Takoyaki Juhachiban sees queues frequently from local and tourists alike. If you’re keen on eating some takoyaki that’s different from the rest, we suggest getting in line and trying some for yourself.
For more Osaka takoyaki choices, see our Best Takoyaki in Osaka page.
1-7-21 Dotonbori, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 542-0071
No (takeout only)
Subway and Train: 3-minute walk from exit B18 of Namba Station.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Takoyaki Juhachiban on TripAdvisor.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world