Sushi Aoki is a tiny sushi restaurant in the Fukushima area in Kita Ward serving fresh, delicious sushi at very reasonable prices. It might be a bit of a walk from the nearest station, but it’s entirely worth the extra effort!
Sushi Aoki - image © Florentyna Leow
Aoki is a gem of a sushi restaurant. Located on a quiet, nondescript street in the Fukushima area, it’s a tiny 8-seat sushi restaurant primarily catering to Japanese regulars. It’s the kind of restaurant you’ll have to know about to find, because it’s not in a particularly touristy area or near a station of any kind.
At Aoki, you’ll watch the chef prepare all the sushi right in front of you. The fish is fresh and sweet, and you can order as you go along. You’ll also be able to order cooked dishes such as salt-grilled squid, scallops, and tiger prawns, or a delicious seawater eel soup. It might not be Michelin-starred sushi, but it is the kind of meal that will make most sushi lovers very happy - straightforward, simple, and satisfying.
With restaurants like this, it’s best to have a Japanese speaker make a reservation for you. It’s even better if you can go with a Japanese-speaking friend. It isn’t the easiest place to find but you’ll enjoy the meal.
For more Osaka sushi choices, see our Best Sushi In Osaka page.
6-20-6 Fukushima, Fukushima-ku, Osaka-shi, 553-0003
Closed 1st and 3rd Sunday, and Monday
Train: 7-minute walk from Fukushima Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line.
:: Read customer reviews of Sushi Aoki on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Sushi Aoki is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in the Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Best Osaka Restaurants
See our list of the best Osaka restaurants for even more ideas about great places to eat in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world