Heading over to Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Arcade for the day and need a dinner option? Look no further than Sumibi Yakitori Miyabi, a restaurant serving up all kinds of skewers and more. If you’re craving chicken hotpot or chicken ramen, this is a great place to hit up too.
Sumibi Yakitori Miyabi - image © Florentyna Leow
Run by a Fukuokan chef, Miyabi is a relatively small yakitori restaurant located near the Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Arcade. There’s a mix of counter seats (6 pax) and table seating (10 pax), and a surprisingly wide variety of dishes on the menu. It’s not all grilled chicken skewers: there are salads, deep-fried chicken parts, noodles, hotpots, and other nibbles to accompany sake. Unless you’re eating with many people, you’ll wish you could come back more than once just to eat your way through the menu.
At Miyabi, they use chicken slaughtered the same day for maximum flavour and freshness. For the grilled skewers, the catch is that you have to order at least two of each skewer, which for them constitutes a single portion. So if you’re ordering thigh, you order two skewers of thigh per person. But it’s tasty enough that you will want a second skewer of the same thing anyway.
There are enough in the way of vegetable options that you won’t feel like you’re only eating protein. Try the daikon salad, sweet vinegared celery, or any of the vegetable skewers like shishito peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and onions. There’s also a special chicken tonkotsu ramen which combines the richness of pork bone broth with the relative lightness of chicken soup, so it doesn’t leave you feeling too bloated and heavy afterwards. It’s something the regulars certainly keep coming back for!
Not to be missed is their Jidori Mizutaki, which is a kind of hotpot with chicken and vegetables, and the remaining broth is turned into zousui congee to finish. This something even solo diners will be able to enjoy! Miyabi also serves a delicious and special hotpot with a rich white soup. It comes with either ramen noodles or tea rice to finish. The catch is that you have to reserve this particular hotpot in advance, at a minimum of 2 portions. Solo diners are out of luck here, but this is a good excuse to bring a date or your best eating buddy.
For more Osaka yakitori choices, see our Best Yakitori In Osaka page.
Sumibi Yakitori Miyabi
7-6-33 Tani-machi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 540-0012
National holidays: 5:30pm-10pm
Closed Sunday and consecutive holidays
Subway: 3-minute walk from exit 4 of Tanimachi 6-chome Station on the Osaka Metro Tanimachi and Nagahori Tsurumi-ryokuchi Lines.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Sumibi Yakitori Miyabi on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Sumibi Yakitori Miyabi is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy - here's how.
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.