Mizuno near Dotombori Arcade has a permanent queue out of the door for their world-famous okonomiyaki, which is as delicious as the Michelin guide promises and entirely worth the wait. Vegetarians and gluten-intolerant diners aren’t left out, either - they have options for you, too!
Mizuno - image © Florentyna Leow
Turn off Dotombori Arcade into one of the shopping arcades nearby and you’ll encounter a little restaurant with lines snaking out of the door. This is Mizuno, one of the Osaka’s most popular okonomiyaki restaurant. It’s been in business for over 65 years, and they’ve had all that time to perfect their dishes.
Their menu is fairly extensive, and available in English, Chinese, and Korean for easy ordering. Pretty much everything is worth ordering, but one of the most popular dishes is the “mazeyaki” or “mixed grill.” It’s a surf n’ turf deal that’s stuffed with squid, octopus, shrimp, and pork belly. Topped with lashings of brown sauce, mayonnaise, and aonori seaweed powder, it’s a hearty and flavourful dish - pure Osakan soul food.
Mizuno - image © Florentyna Leow
Mizuno is also virtually the only okonomiyaki specialist to offer two entirely vegetarian options. Most restaurants are happy to omit the meat, but the batter itself will still contain a fish-based stock. You choose from a vegetarian okonomiyaki with mushrooms and lots of scallions, or a gluten-free option with a ton of mushrooms in a mountain yam batter - the usual wheat flour is not mixed into the batter. It’s delicious, but you may have to remind the staff not to put katsuobushi (bonito fish) flakes on top when you order. Sometimes they just forget, even if you’ve ordered the vegetarian option!
The queues here may seem long, but it does move quite fast. Diners here tend to just eat what they came for and leave soon after. It helps that the staff take your orders while you’re still standing in line. Everything is cooked to order but it all moves quickly. You won’t end up in queue for very long, and we think it’s worth a little wait.
For more Osaka okonomiyaki choices, see our Best Okonomiyaki in Osaka page.
1-4-15 Dotonbori, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 542-0071
Subway and Train: 2-minute walk from exit B22 of Namba Station.
Official website (English)
:: Read customer reviews of Mizuno on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Mizuno is located in Osaka's Minami district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Minami district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Restaurant Recommendations:
See more okonomiyaki restaurants in Osaka or see all our recommended restaurants in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world