The cherry blossoms outside the Mint Museum Osaka are great in late March and early April, but this free museum is worth a visit at any time of year.
Mint Museum with cherry blossoms
Most Osakans only think of this place during cherry blossom season, but for anyone with an interest in how physical money is actually created, this museum is great. There’s almost nothing in the way of English explanations, but most of the displays are pretty self-explanatory.
There are dioramas showing the old days of the mint, as well as some fascinating displays of Japan’s currency through various eras. Including the walk from the station to the museum, it’s about a 30-minute trip from central Osaka to the museum.
1-1-79 Temma, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, 530-0043
9am-4:45pm (last entry 4pm)
Closed 3rd Wednesday
Subway: 13 min walk from exit 4-B of Minami-morimachi Station on the Osaka Metro Tanimachi and Sakaisuji Lines.
Train: 15 min walk from the west exit of Sakuranomiya Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line.
Official Website (English)
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with a Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world