Mannenkare specializes in deliciously rich tonkotsu (pork bone) curry (it’s better than it sounds). If you’re a fan of Japanese curry rice, then you’ll probably love this place.
Mannenkare - image © Florentyna Leow
Japanese-style curries can be hit or miss. At its worst, it’s thick, one-note, and too salty, like it came straight out of a store-bought curry roux mix. But at its best, it’s a gloriously flavourful, umami-packed sauce with gently spicy depths - all without setting your mouth on fire. There are as many variations as there are stars in the sky (probably), but an interesting one to try is tonkotsu - pork bone - curry.
Mannenkare - image © Florentyna Leow
Mannenkare is a curry shop near Osaka Castle Park that serves a mean plate of tonkotsu curry rice - an already rich curry sauce taken to the next level with an infusion of pork bone broth. You could, of course, order the plain curry - but why would you? You’ll only be here once.
It’s fun to go all out on the extra toppings at curry restaurants. Some great additions to your curry rice here include cheese - don’t knock it till you try it - egg, spinach, and a meltingly rich, fatty pork belly. Instead of rice, uou could also have their curry tsukemen-style, with an order of noodles for dipping into the curry sauce.
Mannenkare is great if you’re super hungry and need some comfort food. Look for the yellow sign with the name written in English in small letters on it.
Osaka Restaurant Reservations Service: You can easily make hassle-free reservations online for scores of Osaka restaurants, many Michelin-starred, with Voyagin's Osaka Restaurant Reservation Service.
For more Osaka curry rice choices, see our Best Curry Rice In Osaka page.
2-4-3 Tokui-cho, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 540-0025
Closed Sunday and national holidays
Subway: 6-minute walk from exit 4 of Tanimachi 4-chome Station on the Osaka Metro Tanimachi and Chuo Lines.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Mannenkare on TripAdvisor.
Best Osaka Restaurants
See our list of the best Osaka restaurants for even more ideas about great places to eat in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded