Shopping in Shinsaibashi but need a break? Grab some takoyaki from famed shop Kougaryu in Amerikamura. Not only is the takoyaki fabulous, there’s a wealth of intriguing toppings to choose from. Why not try them all?
Kougaryu - image © Florentyna Leow
Located in youth culture center Amerikamura, Kouga-ryu’s takoyaki are a firm favourite with Osakans and visitors to the city. It does benefit from being squarely located right across Triangle Square, and you’ll often see long lines snaking down from and across the street into the square.
However, it’s not just location that contributes to its popularity. As with any craft, it’s all about the attention to detail. Every element is considered. For instance, they use sashimi-grade octopus in their takoyaki; the dashi stock that goes into the batter contains kelp, even the mayonnaise is made in-house, and has a less tangy flavour than commercial counterparts - all the better to complement the house-made brown sauce.
Kougaryu - image © Florentyna Leow
Your only problem is figuring out exactly which topping to have on your takoyaki. Do you go with the classic sauce-and-mayo combo, or the saltier shoyu-mayo duo? Do you add chopped negi scallions? If you like things salty and sour you could try the “negi-pon” - scallions and a tangy citrus-spiked soy sauce. The black pepper, salt, mayonnaise and lemon takoyaki is a surprising winner. Most interesting of all is to have the takoyaki sandwiched between two senbei rice crackers along with melted cheese. The solution may be to bring your friends and eat your way through the menu.
So the next time you’re on a shopping spree in Amerikamura or nearby Shinsaibashi, head over to Triangle Square when you need a break. Kougaryu’s takoyaki will fuel you right up for your next adventure.
For more Osaka takoyaki choices, see our Best Takoyaki in Osaka page.
2-18-4 Nishi-shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 542-0086
Subway: 3-minute walk from exit 5 of Yotsubashi Station on the Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Kougaryu on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Kougaryu is located in Osaka's Minami district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Minami district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Restaurant Recommendations:
See more takoyaki restaurants in Osaka or see all our recommended restaurants in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world