If you need a break from the crush of downtown Osaka, jump on the Loop Line and head to Kema Sakuranomiya Park.
Kema Sakuranomiya Park in cherry blossom season
Only five minutes from JR Osaka Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line (get off at Sakuranomiya Station), you’ll find this nice riverside park, which is famous for cherry blossoms in late March and early April.
It’s on the east bank of the O-gawa River and the combination of the greenery and the views across the river make it a nice place for a stroll any time of day. During cherry blossom season, the park will be busy with hanami (cherry blossom viewing parties). Other times of year, it can be almost deserted except for a few mothers with their children or retired folks sitting on the benches.
Kema Sakuranomiya Park
Miyakojima-ku and Kita-ku, Osaka-shi
open 24 hours
Train: In front of the west exit of Sakuranomiya Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line.
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded