Iroha is a fabulous little kappo restaurant in the Kita-Shinchi district serving up some incredibly fresh and flavourful dishes. Reservations are essential, and you’ll need to give yourself some extra time to locate the place - it’s a little tough to to find.
Iroha - image © Florentyna Leow
Iroha is one of those quintessential Japanese restaurants, by which we mean that it’s sequestered on the 5th floor of an entirely nondescript building in the middle of Kita-Shinchi district with no English signage, and you’ll have to know exactly what you’re looking for in order to find it. It’s not the kind of place you’ll just stumble upon while wandering about.
Iroha - image © Florentyna Leow
Osaka is known for its kappo-style restaurants, where everything is prepared fresh in front of you. It’s less structured and more informal than kaiseki restaurants, but with that characteristic emphasis on seasonal ingredients and great cooking technique.
You could order a la carte, but we recommend going with the set menu and letting the chef decide what to feed you that evening. Clam and spring onions on tofu skin? Shrimp in a black sesame sauce? Wagyu beef sukiyaki that’s so thoroughly marbled with fat that your tongue feels like it’s having an orgasm and a heart attack at the same time? Anything could appear in front of you and you’d love it. As long as you have an adventurous palate, you can’t go wrong at Iroha.
A meal like this at Iroha will set you back around JPY12,000 - JPY15,000. It’s perfect for special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, or a final meal in Osaka before you leave the country. Reservations are essential here - ask a Japanese speaker or your hotel concierge to give them a ring. Plan ahead if you can.
For more Osaka kaiseki, kappo and other haute cuisine choices, see our Best Kaiseki, Kappo and Other Haute Cuisine In Osaka page.
5F Kitashinchi bldg., 1-3-19 Sonezaki-shinchi, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, 530-0002
〒530-0002 大阪市北区曽根崎新地1-3-19 北新地ビル5F
Closed Sunday and national holidays
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit C-60 of Nishi-Umeda Station on the Osaka Metro Yotsubashi Line.
Train: 1-minute walk from exit 11-5 of Kitashinchi Station on the JR Tozai Line.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Iroha on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Iroha is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in the Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Best Osaka Restaurants
See our list of the best Osaka restaurants for even more ideas about great places to eat in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world