Located along the Okawa River, Imperial Hotel Osaka is a classy hotel with spacious rooms, great views, and top-notch restaurants. If you’re visiting during cherry blossom season, you’ll be treated to the sight of the Okawa River banks all abloom with gorgeous sakura trees, too!
Imperial Hotel Osaka is a beautiful and classy hotel located along the Okawa River, which is famous for its cherry blossom trees. It is about 5 minutes on foot from the nearest JR station (Sakuranomiya), but there is also a free 15-minute shuttle service from JR Osaka Station to the hotel. The bus stop is easy to find, and a real godsend when you’ve just arrived in the city with all your heavy suitcases!
The ensuite rooms here are comfortable, if a little dated in style, but they’re clean, beautifully outfitted, and larger than most hotels of this standard in Japan. Many of them have great views of the river, too. However, the beds and pillows are on the harder side. Most Asian tourists will love the firmer beds, but everyone else, you’ve been warned!
The staff at this hotel are especially friendly and helpful, and the level of service you get is well above what you expect for this price range, even in Japan. They speak pretty good English, too.
While the hotel is advertised as having a pool and fitness centre, this is slightly misleading: both are next to the hotel and not actually part of the hotel proper. International guests are also likely to find the additional charge to use the gym and swimming pool rather frustrating and perhaps prohibitively expensive. However, know that this is common practice in Japan – there’s not much use railing against it! Try jogging or strolling along the river nearby instead.
Breakfast is decent but nothing to write home about. There are some fantastic dining options in the hotel itself. We wouldn’t normally highlight hotel restaurants, since there are hundreds of great restaurants out in Osaka city. However, with an outpost of the justly-famous and delicious sushi restaurant Ginza Kyubey and sophisticated French restaurant Les Saison here, it would be remiss of us to dismiss the Imperial Hotel’s restaurants entirely. Unsurprisingly, they are on the expensive side, so these are definitely special occasion meals!
If you’re visiting Osaka during sakura season and looking for a hotel close to cherry blossom attractions, you can’t do any better than a stay at the Imperial Hotel Osaka. The Okawa River nearby is lined with cherry blossom trees for several kilometres, and Japan Mint, with its famous late-blooming yaezakura avenue, is just a 10 minute stroll away.
Imperial Hotel Osaka
1-8-50 Temmabashi, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, 530-0042
Train: 5-minute walk from the west exit of Sakuranomiya Station on the JR Osaka Loop Line.
Subway: 10-minute walk from exit 4 of Ogimachi Station on the Osaka Metro Sakaisuji Line.
Near To Here:
Imperial Hotel Osaka is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Osaka Mid-Range and Business Hotels:
View our other recommended mid-range and business hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- Find out why travel insurance for Japan is essential – World Nomads is well-regarded