If you’re visiting Universal Studios Japan and want to be close to the park for a reasonable price, Hotel Universal Port is a great choice, especially if you’re travelling with kids. It’s non-smoking and the rooms are family-sized!
If you’re visiting Universal Studios Japan and want to be close to the park for a reasonable price, Hotel Universal Port isn’t a bad choice at all. This is true whether you’re travelling with or without kids. Service here is friendly and efficient, and the rooms are comfortable and clean.
While it is a bit further from the park entrance than other hotels. It will take you between 5 and 10 minutes to get to the entrance, which is not a great hardship considering how much walking you will do in the park, but it’s something to keep in mind. The lobby and some of the rooms are decorated with a Minions theme, which might keep the kids entertained.
This is a more family-friendly hotel than most, with family-sized rooms for 4. This is Japan, however, where rooms tend to be on the smaller side, so you’ll find that even the relatively spacious family-sized rooms are not palatial. Some rooms even overlook the harbour, and the sunrises are rather lovely.
The beds are on the harder side, so those accustomed to soft beds may find these a little too firm. Another particularly welcome aspect to this hotel is that it’s non-smoking, which you’ll find is not especially common in Japan.
While the hotel does have dining options, Universal Walk is located just nearby with dozens of restaurant choices, so you’re better off grabbing some meals there. Having breakfast at the hotel is a good idea, though, and the coffee isn’t too bad either.
Like most of the hotels in this area, you can also buy your tickets for Universal Studios Japan at the hotel to save time queuing up for tickets at the theme park. It’s also a good base if you’re visiting all the other attractions in the Osaka Bay area, like the aquarium and ferris wheel. The hotel also sells discounted tickets for these!
Of course, the fastest method of all is to purchase USJ tickets online instead. Check out our full guide to making the most of your time at the theme park.
Hotel Universal Port
ホテル ユニバーサル ポート
1-1-111 Sakurajima, Konohana-ku, Osaka-shi, 554-0031
:: Check availability and pricing for the Hotel Universal Port on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Train: 3-minute walk from Universal-city Station on the JR Yumesaki Line.
Near To Here:
Hotel Universal Port is located in Osaka's Osaka Bay district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Osaka Bay district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Family Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended family hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world