Located right above JR Namba Station, Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka is a convenient and reasonably priced option for visitors to the city. It’s one of the few more child-friendly hotels around, too.
Location-wise, Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka is a great choice for first-time visitors to Osaka. It’s situated on floors 24 to 31 in a commercial building directly connected to JR Namba Station. Namba is exactly where you need to be for shopping and eating yourself silly! Universal Studios Japan is also about 25 minutes away by subway - talk about convenient.
Rooms at Monterey Grasmere are comfortable and modern, with all the amenities you might expect of a hotel like this, from toiletries to a hairdryer. Like most hotels in Japan, the rooms are on the smaller side, which is to be expected. However, they do have options for triple rooms or additional beds, and if you’re travelling with kids, they even provide a kid’s pouch. Some of the rooms here have very decent views of Osaka city, but these are likely to be on the highest floors.
Like an increasing number of hotels in Japan these days, Monterey Grasmere provides smartphones for guests to use during their stay. These “handy phones” are provided free of charge, and allow you to make free domestic calls, browse the internet and find your way around town. They’ll bill you if you lose the phone, but it’s an otherwise useful and convenient service.
Though the lobby decor might make it look like a 5-star hotel, it isn’t a 5-star hotel, and it would be remiss to expect all the services of one. The staff are polite, friendly, and efficient, but we wouldn’t expect them to take your suitcases to the room, for example. If you want your room to be cleaned daily, you’ll also have to remember to put up a sign - it’s not a default service! Breakfast is average and definitely not 5-star. Depending on the exact room you’re in, the WiFi can also be on the slow side.
Still, for the location. the on-site art museum, and the free “handy phone” service, Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka is hard to beat. Go in with tempered expectations and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka
1-2-3 Minato-machi, Naniwa-ku, Osaka-shi, 556-0017
:: Check availability and pricing for the Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Train: Directly connected to JR-Namba Station on the JR Kansai Main Line.
Subway and Train: Directly connected to exit 30 of Namba Station.
Near To Here:
Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka is located in Osaka's Minami district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Minami district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Family Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended family hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world