Not to be confused with the similarly-named Hotel Keihan Universal Tower nearby, Hotel Keihan Universal City is a convenient choice if you’re planning a trip to Universal Studios Japan. It’s comfortable, reasonably priced, and right next to JR Universal City Station.
The area around Universal Studios Japan has a good number of hotels. Hotel Keihan Universal City isn’t the most convenient, but that’s all relative: it’s literally a few minutes walk to the gates of the theme park, which is no hardship considering how much more you’ll be walking once you’re inside USJ proper.
The ensuite rooms here are reasonably comfortable, and they provide green tea in each room. There are triple room options if you’re travelling with young children. However, if you have many suitcases, consider booking a larger room than not - rooms aren’t the largest around. If you need to do some laundry, there’s a laundromat on the 4th floor.
Because this hotel caters to many international tourists, the staff generally speak better English than at many other Japanese hotels. While the breakfast buffet here is adequate, we suggest skipping dinner at the hotel restaurant. Universal Walk is located just nearby with dozens of restaurant choices, so you might be better off grabbing some meals there.
A few things you should take note of: Skip the pizza restaurant near the hotel (it’s not very good) and save your stomach space for something else instead. The parking fees at the hotel are hideously expensive – around JPY9,000 for 2 nights – and guests don’t necessarily get parking concessions, so find somewhere cheaper if possible. Some rooms have safety deposit boxes, but not all do. If this is important to you, ask for one at check-in.
Like most of the hotels in this area, you can also buy your tickets and fast passes for Universal Studios Japan at the hotel to save time queuing up for tickets at the theme park. It’s also a good base if you’re visiting all the other attractions in the Osaka Bay area, like the aquarium and ferris wheel. The hotel also sells discounted tickets for these!
Of course, the fastest method of all is to purchase USJ tickets online instead. Check out our full guide to making the most of your time at the theme park.
Hotel Keihan Universal City
6-2-78 Shimaya, Konohana-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka, 554-8585
wifi and LAN cable access
Train: 1-minute walk from Universal-city Station on the JR Yumesaki Line.
Near To Here:
Hotel Keihan Universal City is located in Osaka's Osaka Bay district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Osaka Bay district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Osaka Mid-Range and Business Hotels:
View our other recommended mid-range and business hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy - here's how.
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.