October 2022: Please note Hotel Ichiei has now permanently closed. Please see our Minami Area page for other recommended places to stay in the district and our other recommended family hotels in Osaka.
With its central location and comparatively spacious rooms, Hotel Ichiei is a great choice for families with young children - but also anyone who likes having a little more space in their hotel rooms! Being able to choose between Japanese-style and Western-style rooms in a single hotel is a real plus, too.
Rooms at Western-style hotels in Japan are, on average, quite small compared to those in many other countries. This is one of the realities of travelling in Japan, and it’s often best to temper your expectations when staying at hotels.
However, when you’re travelling with young children, having a little more breathing space is extra helpful for them and for parents. To this end, a place like Hotel Ichiei is a godsend. Located smack in the middle of Osaka, and directly connected to Namba Station on the Midosuji Line via Exit 6, this hotel is especially great for those who want to shop in the vicinity with the kids but still be able to come back on a whim for a rest. It’s also an excellent base for exploring the rest of Osaka.
While the hotel lobby or entrance does not exactly inspire confidence, the rooms themselves are clean, well-kept, and comfortable. Hotel Ichiei has a few different room styles for visitors to choose from. You can either go for a more traditional, tatami mat-lined room with a low table and futons; or a room with Western-style beds that are a little lower to the floor than most. Both styles of room are comparatively spacious for Japanese standards.
If you want to try a traditional Japanese breakfast served to you in your room, you can add this to your booking or ask the front desk. This is something you typically get at Japanese inns rather than hotels, so if you haven’t included a ryokan stay anywhere else, this is a good chance to simulate that experience.
One small downside at Hotel Ichiei is that each party only gets one key per room, and you also have to leave this key at the front desk when you leave the hotel. On the bright side, this is pretty good for security, we suppose!
1-6-8 Namba-naka, Naniwa-ku, Osaka-shi, 556-0011
:: Check availability and pricing for the Hotel Ichiei on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Subway and Train: Directly connected to exit 6 of Namba Station.
Near To Here:
Hotel Ichiei is located in Osaka's Minami district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Minami district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Family Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended family hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world