Expocity is a huge shopping, dining, and entertaining complex that has something for pretty much everyone. Whether you like watching movies, gawking at fish, or riding Ferris wheels, or just need a place to unwind while the kids entertain themselves, this is the place to be.
Expocity - image © Florentyna Leow
Does Osaka need yet another shopping and entertainment complex? In the case of Expocity, we’re glad it exists. It’s a very decent place for families with children to spend a whole day at. The facilities here cater to a wide range of demographics: there’s the LaLaPort shopping mall, the Redhorse Ferris Wheel, the Nifrel aquarium, the 109 IMAX Cinema, and even a Gundam Cafe for proud nerds out there. You can easily spend most of a day here at Expocity, especially if you have children in tow.
Expocity is a godsend if it ever begins raining halfway through your day out in Banpaku Memorial Park. Strolling around the park is very pleasant, but having other entertainment options when being outdoors proves too wet can only be a good thing.
The LaLaport mall has the usual array of fashion brands, sports shops, interior bric-a-brac, and restaurants for shoppers. One of the best things here may be the delightfully spacious Loft - perfect for souvenirs - and the ever-reliable Tsutaya bookstore with an attached Starbucks cafe for your book and coffee fix.
Those who hate shopping malls will probably want to skip Expocity. But, if you’re already making a trip up here to visit Banpaku Memorial Park, it’s likely you’ll end up here. The park doesn’t exactly have that many great food options, and a little window shopping never hurt anyone.
For more Osaka resutoran-gai choices, see our Best Resutoran-gai in Osaka page.
2-1 Senri-Banpakukoen, Suita-shi, 565-0826
Opening hours (LaLaport):
Varies by facilities
Monorail: 2-minute walk from Bampaku-kinen-koen Station on the Osaka Monorail Main and Saito Lines.
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near Expocity on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (English)
Near To Here:
Expocity is located in Osaka's northern district. See our complete list of things to do in the Osaka's northern district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world