Akiyoshi might be a yakitori chain, but their skewers are consistently good and they have English menus, making this a tourist-friendly option. Plus, their restaurant spaces are usually larger and have comfortable tables - perfect for larger groups or the claustrophobic!
Akiyoshi Umeda Branch - image © Florentyna Leow
Chain restaurants aren’t always the most interesting choices for eating. But they aren’t always bad! We like Akiyoshi, a popular yakitori chain with many outlets across Japan. For one, the grilled chicken there isn’t bad at all - tender, juicy, and well-sauced - and the quality of the skewers is fairly consistent across all their outlets. It’s also quite reasonably priced, making it an affordable night out.
As with most yakitori restaurants, they have a reasonably wide selection of chicken parts to choose from, but they have beef and pork skewers too. If that weren’t enough, they also serve kushikatsu - Osakan-style deep-fried, battered skewers - grilled vegetables, pickles, vegetable side dishes, and even a few burgers the kids will love. Indeed, chains like Akiyoshi tend to be much more child-friendly than the average yakitori joint catering to salarymen, where the emphasis is on turning out high-quality drinking food.
A chain restaurant like Akiyoshi is great for yakitori beginners. They have English menus, comfortable table seating, and while you can order alcohol if you want, it’s comparatively child-friendly. The Umeda branch seats 100 people, so getting a table here will be much easier than trying to squeeze into a tiny hole-in-the-wall - a boon when you’re travelling with more than two people.
Akiyoshi Umeda Branch
2-14-14 Sonezaki, Kita-ku, Osaka-shi, 530-0057
Saturday, Sunday and national holidays: 5pm-11:30pm
Subway: 1-minute walk from exit 4 of Higashi-Umeda Station on the Osaka Metro Tanimachi Line.
Train: 5-minute walk from exit 11-44 of Kitashinchi Station on the JR Tozai Line.
Official website (Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Akiyoshi Umeda Branch on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Akiyoshi Umeda Branch is located in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Kita and Umeda district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online from Klook for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass - here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy - here's how.
- Find out why it's essential you have travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads.