Located in the Tennoji and Abeno districts, takoyaki purveyor Yamachan is one of the most famous and highly-rated in its genre, and for good reason - their octopus balls are just some of the most delicious ones around. A must-visit when you’re in the area.
Abeno Takoyaki Yamachan - image © Florentyna Leow
Walk down the quiet street behind the towering Abeno Harukas and you’ll find Yamachan, an unassuming stall serving up some of Osaka’s tastiest takoyaki. You can find many a fine tray of takoyaki in the city, but Yamachan stands out even among the stiff competition for their flavourful takoyaki that’s lightly crisp on the outside but spectacularly gooey inside.
One of the many secrets behind Yamachan’s special takoyaki is the stock used to make the batter. It’s no ordinary bonito fish stock: all manner of vegetables from onions to celery, as well as fruit like pineapples, bananas, and apples, are added to a chicken and dried bonito broth. The whole concoction is simmered for four hours from 4am before they add kelp stock. It’s no wonder that the batter made with this broth makes the takoyaki extra flavourful when cooked up!
The staff at Yamachan recommend eating the takoyaki as is to better appreciate the flavour of the batter. While that’s delicious, the various flavour and topping combinations available aren’t too shabby either. The “Young B” style with soy sauce and mayonnaise is a superb flavour bomb, while the goma-shio (sesame oil and salt) gives each ball an addictive, moreish kick. Whatever you order, you should definitely add extra negi (Japanese scallions). Yamachan is a must-visit for takoyaki fans and those looking to be converted.
For more Osaka takoyaki choices, see our Best Takoyaki in Osaka page.
Abeno Takoyaki Yamachan
あべの たこ焼き やまちゃん
1-2-34 Abenosuji, Abeno-ku, Osaka-shi, 545-0052
Sunday and national holidays: 11am-10:30pm
Closed 3rd Thursday
Train: 1-minute walk from the south exit of Osaka-Abenobashi Station on the Kintetsu Minami Osaka Line.
Train and Subway: 5-minute walk from Tennoji Station.
Official website (English and Japanese)
:: Read customer reviews of Abeno Takoyaki Yamachan on TripAdvisor.
Near To Here:
Abeno Takoyaki Yamachan is located in Osaka's Tennoji district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Tennoji district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Restaurant Recommendations:
See more takoyaki restaurants in Osaka or see all our recommended restaurants in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world