October 2022: Please note Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba (formerly Hotel Sunroute Osaka Namba) is temporarily closed until 2023. Please see Minami Area for hand-picked places to stay in the same budget category and Best Osaka Budget Hotels for similarly priced properties elsewhere in Osaka.
Located just a short walk from Nippombashi Station, Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba (formerly Hotel Sunroute Osaka Namba) is a no-frills hotel offering everything you need in a small and efficient package. If you know the chain, you know it’s very decent value for money.
If you need to do some serious shopping in Den-Den Town or want to spend all your time eating at Kuromon Market, a hotel in Nippombashi is what you need. For a reasonably priced option, look no further than Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba. It’s located right in the heart of the Nippombashi district.
Having opened just a few years ago in April 2016, the room furnishings at this hotel are still quite well-kept. Rooms are not atypical for Japanese hotels: they’re on the smaller side, so if you have large suitcases, expect to keep them closed whenever you’re not unpacking. Still, given that you can actually put a suitcase on the rack instead of opening it in the corridor, these are not the smallest rooms you’ll find in Japan. Temper your expectations and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are also quite typical of the Sunroute chain in that they’re pretty no-frills. From a private bathroom and bathtub to toothbrush sets and a kettle, the amenities cover the basics. A nice plus is that the last time we checked, they use Pola branded toiletries. You will need to ask if you want any extras like shower caps, though. The WiFi here is also decent.
Like most hotels of this ilk, the front desk is open 24/7 and they offer luggage storage services for the day when you check out. The staff are a little better at Chinese than English, but on the whole service is friendly and efficient. Check-in practices here are also rather strict in that they will most likely stick to the 3pm check-in time, even if you arrive earlier. However, like most hotels they are happy to store your luggage until the right time.
Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba is, in a word, decent. The combination of great location and no-frills facilities makes this a perfectly adequate choice for most travellers. It’s not exactly plush, but who needs that when you’re going to be out all day exploring Osaka?
Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba (formerly Hotel Sunroute Osaka Namba)
1-1-13 Nippombashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi, 542-0073
wifi and LAN cable access
Subway and Train: 2-minute walk from exit 6 of Nippombashi Station on the Osaka Metro Sennichimae and Sakaisuji Lines, and Kintetsu-Nippombashi Station on the Kintetsu Namba Line.
Near To Here:
Sotetsu Grand Fresa Osaka Namba is located in Osaka's Minami district. See our complete list of things to do in Osaka's Minami district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
More Budget Osaka Hotels:
View our other recommended budget hotels in Osaka.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on the Inside Osaka Google map:
- Open the Osaka map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels / Ryokan / Guesthouses | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | GREEN: Shops | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Osaka Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Osaka guide
- Check Osaka accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Osaka
- You can buy a Japan SIM card online for collection on arrival at Osaka's Kansai International Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- View my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare flight prices and timings to find the best Japan flight deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with the Japan Rail Pass – here's why it's worth it
- Get a prepaid Icoca card to make travelling around Osaka easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world